There are fruit salads and then there are FRUIT SALADS. I recently invited some friends over and one of them insisted that she must bring along her fruit salad: “I make a mean one”, she said. “O.K., O.K.”, I thought. Must let the guests participate.
My friend arrived here with several plastic bags full of fruit and promptly asked me for a large bowl. Within a short time, she walked in with the most luscious looking fruit salad that I have ever seen. Just the visuals were a joy to behold. The taste was out of this world. I was humbled. Never doubt the guests!
I asked my friend for her fruit salad recipe but she preferred to offer me a few principles which I share with you here:
Tips for the Ultimate Fruit Salad
1. Squeeze lemon juice into the bottom of the bowl.
2. Start with the apples – they are firmest.
3. Cut in small bit-sized chunks – no big challenging chunks!
4. Make sure you remove the peel – the secret to the softness of this delightful fruit salad.
5. Add in other fruits starting with firmest and progressing to least firm. Bananas always come last.
6. Don’t throw in any crunchy stuff – nuts, raisins, etc. – keep this a smooth affair!
7. Just prior to serving, pour over a fruit smoothie with a light color. Make sure you choose a high quality smoothie with low sugar and high fruit content. You can make this yourself or buy one from the supermarket.
8. Garnish with some decorative fruits such as physillis.
I warn you, if you do this right, it is an other-worldly experience!
No Comments »
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.